Rick Smith Should Apologize to Texans Fans

Texans GM Rick Smith recently said that he wasn’t going to pursue Brett Favre because he didn’t want to bring the “circus” to the Texans.

Things he could have said instead:
1. “I don’t want Favre because he isn’t willing to be a back-up.”
2. “I don’t want Favre because he didn’t seem committed to the Vikings last year.”
3. “I don’t want Favre because I think T.J. Yates is a better quarterback than him right now.”

Those are each acceptable – if not all completely provable – reasons.

To say you don’t want Favre because of the circus calls into question your commitment to winning. His explanation did not address the main question: Does he make the 2011 Texans better?

Rick Smith should apologize to Texans fans for this issue. Here they are, many of which have waited all ten seasons to see the postseason, and he makes it seem like having some stable locker room is more important than winning a Super Bowl.

Now, I believe in T.J. Yates and I’m convinced they can win with him. That said, – if he does start to have difficulty – the Texans have two quarterbacks that have seen a lot more defenses live and in person: Jake Delhomme and Kellen Clemens. It’s important to remember that we’re talking about a quarterback who looked horrible after Tommy John surgery and a quarterback who’s never played in the playoffs.

Hit “Like” if you think the right pieces are there to help T.J. Yates deliver the Texans their first postseason win.

Follow me at: http://twitter.com/Chris_M_Bach

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Texans Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

6 Responses to “Rick Smith Should Apologize to Texans Fans”

1. Scott says:

I took it to mean the team chemistry is strong and they don’t want that disrupted. That, to me, is factual and requires no apology.

2. Jay says:

I agree Scott – for Smith to say he doesn’t want to bring the circus to town basically says that not only would Favre not help the team at all, but he would also hurt the team with the media attention and the fact that he’s not a good locker room guy and not coachable at this point.

3. TexansNutt says:

I think it means that Brett Farve is a clown and we have no need to bring his ego to this team and agree with Scott and Jay

4. Chris Bach says:

I find him nauseating but any team with legitimate leaders in the locker room is not going to lose focus but just do their job.

5. saddy says:

Tj yates can’t do it, get Brett favre..

I need a ring for us badly..

Rick Smith is a fool, and can’t beleive he wouldn’t go all in this year when next yr we might see manning or Andrew luck torch us for years

6. Eric says:

How is Brett Favre not a good locker room guy? I think if you ask his Packer teammates they will tell you he is an outstanding locker room guy. He is known for his leadership. If you want any chance at a super bowl Texans’ fans you will sign Favre. He is the greatest competitor of all time. He put the Green Bay Packers back on the map with a super bowl and 7 division titles with only 1 non-losing season in 16 years, added 5 more wins to a jets team almost leading them to the playoffs after a dismal 4-12 season the year before, and took the Vikings one bad play call away from a super bowl.