Shop for Houston Texans gear at

Jets Label Texans the Heartbreak Team with Comeback Win in Final Minute

The Houston Texans came into Sunday’s game fearful of what Rex Ryan would bring at them this year.  However as the game wore on they recognized the New York Jets weren’t the same team that pounded them for the 183-total yard loss last season.  The Texans were able to gain momentum, and by the last minute of the fourth quarter had fashioned them a huge comeback win over the media-prized Jets. However, Mark Sanchez was able to dial his receivers up, who were huge in the first half, for an impressive final drive and win over the Texans.  For the Texans, the heartbreaks just keep on coming.  For the Jets, they squeak by another win and look to stay on top of the AFC North as the Patriots take on the Colts this afternoon.

The Texans started off with what became a steady trend in the game: poor punt and kick returns.  The offensive came in and obviously looked like it remembered last year’s beating.  Schaub started shaky and were soon run off the field.  However, the Jets’ offensive was no different.  Middle linebacker Kevin Bentley and the Texans defense began off  game on a good note and pressured Sanchez.  The defensive battle continued, as Arian Foster ran for 52 yards and a touchdown in the first half.  The touchdown came on an eleven play, 67 yard and 5:05 minute drive.  Matt Schaub had 92 yards in the half.  The Jets’ offense was also slow out of the gates.  Although the Texans were able to pressure Sanchez, who still was able to find his ready receivers (Patrick Turner’s 21-yard grab and Santonio Holmes’ in play toe-drop reception), the Texans were never able to establish consistency.  When the defense put on good coverage and were saved by Jets’ penalties, the offense slipped up with dropped balls.  Furthermore, the Texans failed to manage the game clock at the end of the second half.  With the final 00:42 seconds on the clock and three timeouts the Houston Texans gained yards but came out with no points and a timeout still remaining.   Jets went up 13-7 heading into halftime.

The Jets flew past the Texans in the third quarter going up 23-7 into the fourth.  Sanchez was able to find Santonio Holmes on several long receptions, including a 41-yard touchdown reception right through the Texans’ defense.  The Texans’ defensive line, who were manhandling the Jets’ offensive line for thirty minutes, went invisible.  Schaub and the Texans were also stalemate.  Foster’s play selection dwindled into the mid-third quarter, and by the early fourth quarter Foster committed his first fumble of the season.  The Texans’ first fourth quarter drive ended with a Neil Rackers field goal.  On the drive, Revis had a shutdown tackle on Foster and applied the same style coverage on Andre Johnson in the endzone on a third-and-nine play to end the Texans’ hopes for a score.  With over twelve minutes remaining in the game, the Texans were down 23-10 and the Jets’ had overpowered the Texans’ , 321 to 221 total offensive yards.  However, in the Jets’ next drive their utilization of power and speed with LaDainian Tomlinson and Shonn Greene ended with a Greene fumble and a Kevin Bentley fumble recovery with nine minutes remaining.

The good defensive play and joint-connection boosted the offense to two long ball strikes to Joel Dreessen, including a wide open 43 yard touchdown reception and a 23-17 Texans deficit.  Dreessen had four receptions for 106 yards on the day.  The Texans’ next defensive front began with a Mario Williams sack, his second and the Texans’ third of the game.  Sanchez and the Jets stayed creative but were inevitably rushed off the field by the former first overall picks’ aggressive pressure.  The Texans began to heat up, and their offensive caught the fire.  Schaub drove the Texans right down the field and the Texans capitilized with an Arian Foster push and stretch for the touchdown.  The Texans scored fourteen straight to lead the Jets 24-23.  Johnson had only three catches for twelve yards at the six minute marker when the drive began, and only had 32 yards to finish. Sanchez’ next drive stopped at the 1:52 marker with a Kevin Bentley interception made possible from pressure from the Texans’ in-season pick-up, defensive end Mark Anderson.  With the final 112 seconds, the Texans grinded Arian Foster on the Jets for his first 1,000 yard season with 80 yards on the day.  The thought on the Texans minds obviously were the win was in the books with under a minute in the game.

Wrong.  In 45-seconds, Mark Sanchez connected on a field long Braylon Edwards reception followed by a short Santonio Holmes touchdown reception with ten seconds still remaining on the game.   Sanchez, Edwards and Holmes stole the Texans’ thunder, and left the Texans’ heartbroken for the second straight game.

The Jets now jump to 8-2 with the win while the Texans fall to 4-6.  With what seemed like a rapid and positive defensive development under Frank Bush, the Texans stunned themselves yet again, this time Jason Allen and Eugen Wilson the culprits.  The Texans had a great comeback win in the books, but the defense yet again has failed the team. The 30-27 loss today definitely dampers the Texans’ playoffs hopes.

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Texans Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

Leave a Reply